Friday, 31 March 2017

Day tripping: Arthurs Seat

I have a stack of new books to read, one of which is 'How to Live a Good Life' by Jonathan Fields. I've only read the introduction (standing on a packed trained tucked under a stranger's armpit), but I just loved loved this paragraph for a bit of end-of-the-week inspiration:

There is a vitality, a life force, energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost.  The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is not how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep your channel open. 

It came at the perfect time when I'm wrestling with various options for working more flexibly so that I can do all the things I want in my limited 24-hour pockets of time. Keeping my channel open means spending more time with Immy, reading more books, exploring new places, planning big and small adventures, and still taking a Sunday every now and again to stay in my pajamas watching Netflix and eating corn chips and guacamole if that's what I feel like doing. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the simpler things - opening brown cardboard packages from Book Depository on busy days at the office, strong coffee and good conversation with a friend, a walk in the sun to Haigh's to buy a single dark-chocolate rose cream wrapped in a tiny bag with a gold sticker, building a puzzle with Immy, crawling into bed on a rainy night and falling asleep within seconds of my head touching the pillow.

Oh! And Immy's started writing stories so who knows - maybe she's also finding her channel.

**

Family outings continued. It was Labour Day not long ago, so we took advantage of the public holiday and took a drive to Mornington Peninsula with two objectives: to see the coastline from a cable car and to find Sorrento Back Beach and swim in the natural tidal pool that I'd only even seen pictures of.

The cable car ride was beautiful. And chilly. By the time we got to the top, our priorities had rearranged themselves into finding coffee immediately, and drinking it at a table in the sun. We sipped our coffee and shared crumbly, custardy yo-yos (which I mistakenly called HO-HO's at work the other day - a mistake not to be repeated) while the gondolas rolled by.

 photo thumb_IMG_5215_1024_zpsrvaomhty.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_5176_1024_zpslvdyutp4.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_5208_1024_zps7rnqnwpg.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_7216_1024_zps8byymwzs.jpg

There are a number of walks and trails you can do, but we opted for the shorter walk to the Matthew Flinders cairn to take in the view. I walked behind Immy and Rob, their conversation washing over me - chatting, practicing numbers and counting and all the school-related things that I should really be better at doing but rarely have the patience for. I am always grateful that there are two of us in this parenting gig, that I get to pass the baton on things I'm not great at (and vice versa I guess) so that Immy mostly gets the best of each of us.

 photo thumb_IMG_5187_1024_zps9evldwkw.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_7225_1024_zpsxgo2shfs.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_7230_1024_zpssn2kmgpv.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_7234_1024_zpshenjboly.jpg

Next stop: Sorrento Back Beach. We got there at high tide, which meant the tidal pool was invisible but oh! the waves! Immy was in heaven. I can't understand it - the water is icy cold, but this is her happy place. Also my happy place as long as I can stay out of the freezing water and be dry and encouraging from the beach.

 photo thumb_IMG_7320_1024_zps6gzdbbon.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_7344_1024_zpsgycoreum.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_5227_1024_zpsin5ynwqv.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_7301_1024_zps3t2s3dhy.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_7319_1024_zpszbe382rg.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_7310_1024_zps6knh2dca.jpg

It was a long, full day. We couldn't find a place to eat - everything was either closed, or we just couldn't face the long queues. So we headed back to Melbourne and ended our day with our favourite burgers on our home turf.

We fell into bed, dreams backlit with end-of-summer colours.

Writing this post, the sun and sea seem like a distant memory, with winter stealing into the early mornings already. It's weekend again at last, and tomorrow we have plans for a steam train adventure.

Happy Friday.

 photo thumb_IMG_7322_1024_zpsjihuhuvc.jpg

No comments: