Tuesday, 27 December 2016

Our Christmas story

The festivities are over. I've taken the tree down, and reclaimed our home from Christmas. It was a magical time, but for me it's always a bit of a relief when it's all over and life can go back to normal.

We spent Christmas Eve with my friend Gwyn, and her family. There was champagne, and an inflatable pool filled with ice-cold water that the girls refused to get out of, and a beautiful traditional dinner. We exchanged gifts, and took a drive after dinner to look at the Christmas lights in the local neighbourhood. 

Glimpses of Christmas Eve magic...

:: I put myself in charge of table decor just because it gave me an excuse to buy cute wooden reindeer and Santa's with bells and tiny candle lanterns with spinning stars.

 photo thumb_IMG_3100_1024_zpsrsmfsmvs.jpg

:: I have no idea what Lawrence was doing above/behind my head as I was taking this photo, but the girls were in hysterics.

 photo thumb_IMG_3088_1024_zpstc3l2xrb.jpg

:: Many glasses of sunset champagne...

 photo thumb_IMG_3107_1024_zpsodgwlw1h.jpg

and a Rubis log for dessert, from Laurent. We - children included - were in raptures.

 photo thumb_IMG_3113_1024_zpshkofoouo.jpg

After dinner, and dessert, it was time to look at the lights. Every year (I'm told by Gywn) this man puts up all these lights. He comes out to chat to everyone who comes to look, standing barefoot and content with his efforts. It's incredible.

 photo thumb_IMG_3158_1024_zpszrksxvqq.jpg

By 10:30pm the kids were exhausted, so we called it a night. When we got home, we put Immy to bed by the light of her tree. I tidied up the kitchen while Rob did the footprints. Luckily Gywn donated a carrot and a mince pie, otherwise I'm afraid Father Christmas would have been running dry here at our place.

After Rob left, and I checked in on a snoring Immy, and the house was quiet and lit only by the twinkling Christmas lights, I sat down with a glass of wine and stared at the tree, and the gifts, and the stuffed stocking, and thought about the excitement of a little girl who still believes in magic. I thought about our family and friends back home, and the opaque sadness that Rob, Immy and I are no longer an official family, which always slips it's way into my heart when we're making arrangements for his arrival the next morning, and how we're going to smuggle the last gift under the tree when he comes.

But mostly, I just felt thankful. For where we are, how far we've come and that we're still in this together for Immy.

 photo thumb_IMG_6125_1024_zps3rx2vkhr.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_3026_1024_zpsgxxayifa.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6128_1024_zpsh2czzefm.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6131_1024_zps2h4wmycs.jpg

She flew into my bedroom at 6:45am, chattering about the stocking under the tree, and the presents and the footprints and the logistics of where Father Christmas came in and where he went out, and the half-eaten carrot. Later that morning,  when she ate the rest of it, I asked her about reindeer germs - and she said 'Mama. Reindeers don't have germs! They're MAGIC'. Obviously.

And then it was time for gifts.

 photo thumb_IMG_6183_1024_zpslrmrnvaw.jpg

Meet Evangeline Celine. Cabbage Patch doll and explorer extraordinaire. It was love at first sight.

 photo thumb_IMG_6275_1024_zpszano0d1f.jpg

Every year Father Christmas brings us a family game. This year it was Operation. Immy loves and loathes it in equal parts, I think. She loves watching the nose light up, just as long as she isn't the one making it happen.

 photo thumb_IMG_3196_1024_zpsmkhlpby7.jpg

Piles of happiness.

 photo thumb_IMG_6244_1024_zpse6dsgi5z.jpg

Tea, and gingerbread men and a Christmas cake, baked by Gwyn and gifted to us on Christmas Eve.

 photo thumb_IMG_6262_1024_zpsnhj8sp9e.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6319_1024_zpslns6oefb.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6324_1024_zps7bjxpswb.jpg

And Frosty, the Melting Snowman. I built him three times, just to watch him puddle helplessly on the kitchen counter, arms splayed. I think I was much more taken with him than Immy.

 photo thumb_IMG_6301_1024_zpsgswfpfw1.jpg

We spent a lazy, quiet day together. Rob took her to the park while I cleaned up. We played games, and ate a lunch of cold leftovers, and cheese, and crackers and piles of cherries. It was a boiling hot day, so we skipped our plans for the botanical gardens and her and I headed to the movies instead. We watched Moana, and held hands and cried together at the end, sipping on frozen Coke.

Later, once the fierce heat had subsided a bit , we went to the park. We took Evangeline Celine, of course. 'Mama. She is an adventurer, and I am an adventurer, and you are an adventurer!' WE ARE A FAMILY'.

 photo thumb_IMG_6363_1024_zps2tazkor6.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6461_1024_zpsbktb7vps.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6443_1024_zpshz5oabzv.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6416_1024_zps16x67ybw.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6382_1024_zpsoeuiynam.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6463_1024_zpsdr1gcpfi.jpg

 photo thumb_IMG_6474_1024_zpstp19grpe.jpg

And after the park, we took a cool shower, and put on our summer pyjamas and I put her to bed. She smiled sleepily at me, and said 'Thank you mama. That was nice'.

And I didn't ask her what she meant, because of course I knew.

Happy Christmas, from our corner of the world, to yours.

No comments: