Saturday, 17 October 2015

Clarens adventure: Part 1

A couple of weeks ago Immy and I hit the road for a long weekend in Clarens. I've been meaning to do this blog post for ages, but life (and an October writing course) have gotten somewhat in the way. As I sit here typing, Immy is laying out her birthday invitations on A5 envelopes for us to distribute at school. The cat is curled up on the couch, the weather is cloudy and cool, and I have a steaming cup of coffee next to me on the table. In other words, the planets are aligned for a blog post.

We had such a good time, and everything was so VERY photogenic that I'm splitting the trip between our accomodation, and the things we did, loved, ate, and experienced. 

If ever you're keen on a weekend in Clarens, we can totally endorse and recommend staying at Kalm Guesthouse. When I plan a trip, I spend hours poring over websites, reading Tripadvisor reviews, narrowing options down until I've found the perfect place. I love small places off the beaten track, with personality and warmth.

Early mornings were spent tiptoeing and exploring the gorgeous garden in that perfect light when the sun is creeping over the mountains, and everything seems lightly kissed with dew, and freshness. Damp slippers were a small price to pay for the privilege of stepping-stone hopscotch and tree climbing. 











Other morning rituals included coffee on the verandah, and face puppet origami in bed.





We spent hours in the garden in the afternoons, exploring, drawing, colouring in, playing Minions Memory game under the dappled light of the trees.























I love exploring new places with her. I wonder if she'll remember it, the hours spent singing in the car, the people we've met along the way, the places we've stayed at, the adventures that have woven themselves like bright thread through the more mundane daily rituals of life.

No more travels planned for now. Instead, I'm looking forward to seeing what bits and pieces of adventure we can make in our usual places and spaces.




No comments: