Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Faith

My thoughts on this are a bit scattered, I'm afraid. But one thing I know is that life is so full of curve balls that figuring out what you believe - what your fundamental Truth is that you hold onto with whitened knuckles when the storm rages around you - is pretty important.

So. Faith.

This afternoon at work, I overheard a conversation that started with the word Religion. And sure enough, within minutes, voices were raised and the conversation became heated. And I wondered for the millionth time why this happens.

Here are my thoughts. They may be right or wrong. But this is what makes sense to me.

I think we get angry because we are afraid. If you don't agree with what a person believes - fiercely, perhaps blindly - to be true, then you are a threat to that person. And anger, and defensiveness is just a natural response. But I can't help thinking: wouldn't life be better if we opened ourselves up to listening to, and exploring other people's viewpoints? Faith is TRICKY. No person, no religion, no holy text even, can definitively answer the really hard questions. That's all there is to it.

I used to be a churchgoer. And it was okay for a long time. But something about the structure, the institution, the man-made-ness of it chafes now. So instead, I explore and read and speak to people who have different experiences and different views from my own. Let me be clear: I unutterably and absolutely believe in God. And what I believe profoundly, and above everything, is that God commanded thus: love your neighbour as you love yourself.  This seems like a pretty clear indicator of what God expects from me before I shuffle off my mortal coil.

If we loved more, and judged less, and made more room for each other in our hearts, I think this world would be a glowing place. At the end of the day, it really comes down to this: I love you because you're human. You bleed and you break and you celebrate the same way as me. For me, it starts and ends with that.

Anyway. I found this author through a friend, and his completely enlightened, non-doctrinal way of thinking is so fresh. For a change. Not the same tired answers to the same tired questions. Tonight I read this meditation, which inspired this somewhat erratic post.

'...God becomes more a verb than a noun, more a process than a conclusion, more an experience than a dogma, more a personal relationship than an idea. There is Someone dancing with you, and you no longer need to prove to anyone that you are right, nor are you afraid of making mistakes. Another word for that is faith.'




p.s. 

I must say this: the love thing? It's a constant learning curve. Because, I'm afraid, I'm a bit like the little girl with the curl on her forehead: when I am good I am very very good, but when I am bad I am horrid.

1 comment:

Dad said...

John 13:34 - A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

1 John 4:20 - If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?