Thursday, 21 November 2013

Musings

My week started something like this. After a mostly sleepless Sunday night, I slept solidly through my 4:45am bootcamp alarm, woke up late, and at some point in the already frantic morning managed to pour half a tube of Superglue over my left hand, and then about a third of what was left over my right. Luckily at this point the part of my brain that had actually already woken up screeched SPLAY YOUR FINGERS!! SPLAY SPLAY! which meant that I actually managed not to superglue parts of myself to other parts of myself. Small mercies.

(ahem. Thank you, Google. Petroleum jelly and a nail file did, in fact, do the trick).

We've had a week of it. Late nights, all three of us a bit under the weather, lots of things to tick off the To-Do list and some tough personal stuff for me to chew over.

The end result of a week's worth of mental ramblings. In no particular order.

Friendships, like any living thing, need room to breathe. To expand, and contract. This is okay, and should not be taken personally.

Routines are good for lots of things. But throwing them out the window every now and then to do something spontaneous makes the soul sing.

Children get older and parenting gets harder. But every time I put aside a knee-jerk parenting reaction in favour of slowing down and CHOOSING a response, I teach my daughter a valuable lesson. I only get this right about one in ten times, but I am getting there. Very.Slowly.

Gratitude. Thankfulness. An open heart, and a generous hand. These are things that remind me what it is to be human, to love, to make a difference. I mean - have you checked out Momastery this week?

Cutting, pasting and sticking. The best, and cheapest, therapy for the doldrums.

Cherishing small moments that weave themselves into the fabric of my life. Snuggles in the dark and whispered prayers with Immy. Freshly laundered towels and a warm bubble-bath for an aching body. The infectious excitement of an almost-four year old handing out her party invitations. Choosing to step off the guilt-trip train for missing an exercise session when I'm exhausted from sitting up with a sick child. That extra two hours sleep? Heaven.

Our week in pictures.

My most important job of the week. Party invitations and the title for her Christmas concert class poster.









These Santa - ears? Horns? Whatever. You get it.



This.



Christmas starbursts.



Cherry pie. Immy's job was to stone the cherries, and my baker-baker-pie-maker husband did the rest.



Christmas goodies. Boxes, tags, stamps, confetti. I'm collecting.



Two half-glasses of wine and 20 invitations later. Cheers.



It's a long day for us tomorrow. And mine starts at 4:45am.

Somebody around here has the right idea.



Goodnight.

No comments: