Wednesday, 26 June 2013

The Waiting Place

If you've ever read Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss, you'll be quite familiar with the waiting place.

...for people just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.

Everyone is just waiting.

Well, that pretty much sums up where I'm at currently. We have some pretty big decisions to make about our little family's future, and until we know whether Plan A is going to pan out, we can't exactly kick off Plan B. And sometimes this makes me feel like I can't breathe properly, but mostly I'm okay with it. When I start feeling like this, I try and focus on all the great now things in our life. And I try not to dwell too much on the things make me feel frozen in place, because honestly, life's too short. As am I, for that matter.

So. This post is a celebration of now moments, even if now is limbo and limbo seems like it is lasting forever.

On Saturday, Rob had to work. Being at a bit of a loose end, I decided to make the most of the opportunity for an uninterrupted day of mom-daughter time. Girls to girls, as my friend's 4-year old daughter puts it.

I'd stocked up on supplies during the week, because I'm doing a purge and renew of all old, broken pencils, crayons, toys, and general kid-related junk. It was a beautiful day, so we hauled ourselves and our supplies into the garden for some folding. Drawing. Colouring. Painting.









Nothing like a bit of colouring or painting to soothe the soul. Knitting squares is also fabulous for this, by the way. And as for that horse? Paint by number, folks. 'Cos I can't paint anything that doesn't come with step-by-step instructions.

We mixed colours to make new colours. Red and blue = purple. Sheer wonder and delight when she saw the colours change.





Remember these? This game has been taken up a notch since I was a child. Origami paper, patterns, and activity stickers. We had a blast, and probably looked quite strange pretending we were teapots. And horse-riding around the garden. Also jumping around like Spiderman.

Not for the faint-hearted, this version.









And when we were done with the arty part of the day, we headed out for a long walk. An hour-long walk, to be exact. We had to stop for puddle-jumping, smelling every flower on the side of the road and collecting leaves and flower wings. Which is what she calls petals. 









Lunch, and a nap. Curled up in her bed, with her feet tucked under my legs and her hand clutching mine.

Girls to girls.





Maybe I'll sign up for that writing course I've been meaning to do for ages. Conquer those cookbooks. Watch a ballet. Go on a picnic. Explore Jozi's inner city on a bicycle. Plan a weekend away. Read.

One thing I've ticked off my list at last is a family photo shoot. All real, all us. I've seen a sneak peek of the pics, and I couldn't be more thrilled. They're amazing. Watch this space.

In the meantime - we'll be living it up in Limbo.

No comments: