Monday, 13 May 2013

Mother's Day

For a long time before Immy was born, I was faced with the awful reality that I might never be a mother. I will never ever as long as I live forget the moment that I saw those two lines on the pregnancy test. From that moment on, our lives changed and we held our breath in expectation of our greatest gift.

When she was a few months old, she would wake up like clockwork at 1am for a feed. I would pick her up, and savour every minute of that time in the middle of the night, when all the world was sleeping and it was just the two of us. I still go into her room every night just to look at her. And breathe her in. And assure myself that yes, I AM a mama and this dazzling child is ours.
I know my place in this world because of her. And when she woke me up at 8:02am yesterday morning with a smile and tousled blonde hair and a LOUD ‘Happy Mother’s Day Mommy’, I thought: I am blessed. And grateful that every day is a new opportunity to be the best mother I can be. That even though yesterday I may have lost my temper, or not had time to sit down and play, or may not have hugged her or held her or told her I loved her as much as I should have: today is a new day.

To all the mama’s out there, including my own: Happy Mother’s Day. We don’t always do the right thing, or have all the answers but there is nothing in this world like a mother’s love.

No comments: