Saturday, 9 March 2013

44 Stanley

I haven't posted for absolute ages because I've had bloggers block. I just can't seem able to string together some sentences and pictures for a post worth reading. But now I'm getting up on the horse. Its likely not to be the post that changed the world, but I really really want to click that Publish button again. So here goes.
Those who know us well, know that we take absolutely forever  to decide on a new piece of furniture for the house. We can't find exactly what we want, ever. And then once we have it, I am likely to be stricken with buyer's remorse. Luckily R is very sensible about these things, and talks me down off my buyer's remorse ledge almost every time. 
Right. The point. We have been looking for a coffee table for over a year now. Just can't find anything that we both l.o.v.e. Until 44 Stanley and Decade came along. And as I write this, it is t minus 12 hours until our new (old) coffee table is delivered.

Last Saturday, we headed off to Jozi for the day. This entailed waking up at the crack of dawn, piling into the car (no coffee or breakfast - eek!) and catching a nap on the way (well, me. I hope Rob was not napping on the highway). He had been to 44 Stanley the day before, and had spotted a coffee table that he thought I might like. I was sceptical, but since we've searched everywhere else I reckoned we had nothing to lose. And a fun day of exploring to gain.

Did I mention no breakfast and coffee? Once we arrived, the first non-negotiable stop was breakfast. @ Salvation Cafe. Yes please.

**
Side note. As I type this, it's a quiet Saturday afternoon. Rob and Immy are in the garden. They've just been playing with her balloon, which OF COURSE popped on the grass. Bitter tears which I've now soothed. And now she's on the jungle gym and he is inspecting the grass with some disgust (we have a massive broadleaf problem - apparently. I reckon, broadleaf is green like grass, so what's the problem? Clearly not the gardener of the family.) The point of this is to say that it really is the small things that make us happy. Cliched, but true.
**

Ahem. Back to Salvation Cafe and breakfast. Yum. Breakfast duo, with the best eggs benedict and french toast. Not sure what any of the fruit tasted like, because Immy ate the lot. And loved - LOVED - the tiny Salvation Army milk bottle that came with her tea.



And while we were waiting for the food, a bit of Swan Lake on the edge of the nearby water fountain. Any opportunity for ballet. Carpe ballet.This is her motto.
 




Ok. So breakfast was done, and it was time to do some exploring. There are so many cute shops at 44 Stanley. We started - as one does- at a second-hand bookshop. The name made me laugh: 'L'elephant Terrible'. I mean, really. The Terrible Elephant?

The thing about me is: I love books. Obviously. But I don't love second-hand books. I don't know why. I love the shops, which are always musty and cozy and you feel like you could just spend hours browsing. But often I don't, and I never, ever buy books. Guess I just like them fresh.

Aha! Could this be THE Terrible Elephant? (not sure about that lion either)
 
 

Right. Next was Imagine-Nation. I am being very careful to credit all of these photos, because I got in a fight with a security guard who said I needed to ask permisssion to take photos. More about this a bit later in the post.

Anyway. I took my favourite photo of the day there. This one. Isn't it great?

So we walked around, and browsed in the shops and R got another cup of coffee and Immy had some water. (and right about at that point I had words with the security guard. I mean, where is the sign that says 'no photos' or 'ask permission to take photos'? Luckily most of the photos were already taken, and we were on our way out so I agreed (not very graciously, I'm afraid) not to take any more.

And then I saw it. The coffee table @ Decade. Imaginary music swelled in the background. I loved it. Wanted it. And sorry, I don't have a picture of it. Watch this space.

This photo of her gives me a lump in my throat.

And so does this one.

If you ask her who the person is on her t-shirt, she will say: Melson Mandelan. Which is close enough, and anyway - I think Melson Mandelan would enjoy that.

And that was the end of 44 Stanley for us. A new (old) coffee table, a good breakfast and some old-fashioned window shopping.

The day continued, although this post does not.

I am tired of sitting on this horse now.



3 comments:

Nathalie Williams said...

I just LOVE your photos... they always make me happy!

Kristy Suttner-Stride said...

OY, how come the visit to the Suttner-Strides doesnt feature (directly post coffee table revelation moment) ??

Melanie said...

I love it! It really sounded like a perfect day and I love the pictures.